INTERVIEW FOR RADO STARPRIZE COMPETITION (2010)

1. Could you give us a brief description of your background, education and accomplishments thus far.
I studied architecture halfway after my SPM, before switching into Fine Arts. All of my Diploma, Degree and Master were done in UiTM. My
first important exhibition was 'OuterinterX' at Galeri Chandan in 2009, where i started my experiments in digital sculpture and 3D Mapping technique. I've joined several exhibitions and competition locally and internationally.

2. How did u approach the design brief and work within it's perimeters while still making the work your own? 
I believe Rado has been very up-to-date in designing the design brief for the competition, and to my advantage, some of the criteria has the same wavelength with my artwork (for example, minimalistic in form). I also believe that since my artwork deals with experiments using current trends in technology, it goes along well with Rado's concept and theme in the term of innovativeness.

3, Were you inspired by the theme unlimited spirit and/or Rado? And if so describe how.
Yes, the theme has given the competitors the chance to explore themselves. to me, the theme 'unlimited spirit' reflects the soul of the new generation. it portrays the contemporary spirit which is very energetic, very infinite.

4. How was your experience with this competition?
I believe this competition has open up some new idea about the term 'creative' and 'innovative'. Since I am competing with not just great artists, but some other genius designers, I started to think more on the concept and technique. this is because most artworks don't have its direct function (like chairs, or transports etc). So i believe I have to be strong on ideas and techniques.

5. What are you working on now?
I am further researching on new technology and techniques to represent my ideas in other forms of art. Technology may come costly, though. I need to constantly think about possible material, artwork fabrication etc.

6. What/ who inspires you? Do you have a favorite medium/ material?
I am always inspired by the things that surround me. In the older days,the traditional craftsmen were always fascinated by nature that surrounds them, thus all the motifs of traditional woodcarvings, batik etc had been in the form of floral and vegetative. Meanwhile, I believe the city, the people that surround it, the billboards, the internet, the digital lifestyle etc has been very inspiring to me. Currently my favourite material is 'light'. Its 'intangible' properties has always been fascinating me.

7. What are your hopes for the future?

I hope that the future will be more beautiful. I may not know or categorize the term 'beautiful' but i hope the future will be better. I also hope that artists and designers of the world can share the same spirit of making the future a better world to live in! :)