The Stages
3D Projection Mapping on Wall Sculpture
Variable Dimension
2008

My research is generally about the effects of lights and its shadow on suggested forms – based on the basic philosophy of ‘Wayang Kulit’ through research on the symbolismes of Pohon Hayat. As a big fan of animation, I tried to dive into the rich heritage of wayang kulit to find any connections with my spirit during my study years. Being a sculpture student I ended my conflict of interests by combining sculpture and animation through 2 different layers of visual presentation. I always love the concept of lights as a medium for communication and I’ve taken the chance to apply it onto my sculpture.

All of the three forms were designed based on the basic form of pohon beringin, as a symbol of the universe. There lies the concept of temporariness in life, hence the name ‘The Stages’, where everyone has their own role to play in life. As a muslim, I considered the word ‘temporariness’ as a serious message for the audience.